How much do you really know about Colonel Sanders, the man behind Kentucky Fried Chicken?
1. Harland David Sanders was his full name
2. He was born in Indiana
3. His father died when he was 5
4. Because his mother worked he had to cook
5. He dropped out of school in 7th grade
6. When his mother remarried, the stepfather beat Colonel Sanders and so he ran away from home
7. He had several different jobs and finally enlisted in the Army at the age of 16 (fibbing about his age)
9. He had a gas station in Kentucky and started cooking chicken for his customers at the age of 40
10.He did not have a restaurant so he served his customers in his living room
11.Dave Thomas, the founder of Wendy’s, helped Colonel Sanders trim his menu. He may have had close to 100 items offered on his menu before!
Whether you’re a fan of Colonel Sander’s Kentucky Fried Chicken or not, you have to admit his secret coleslaw recipe is one of the best out there. It has a crisp crunchy texture that is most refreshing in its taste.
How do you make it?
First you start off with some cabbage that has been put through your food processor. You want very, very little pieces (the size of rice), some shredded carrot and chopped onion.
Combine the 3 ingredients together.
Now pour your dressing over the cabbage mixture.
Your dressing recipe consists of:
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
Let sit for a few hours in the refrigerator. I actually think it tastes better right after it’s made because the cabbage has more crunch to it.
This recipe was taken from a favorite of mine – A Treasury of Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
Do you own this book? What are some of your favorites?
Take a moment and see what other moms are up to this week at Beauty and Bedlam.
Filed under: Salads
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!